Greggs was keen to let its first Drive-Thru in Irlam, Manchester, open quietly with no proactive announcement to the press – but with this being major news for the media and Greggs fans, Havas knew this would result in rumours and misinformation.
To ensure accurate information and specially-shot PR imagery would circulate, we recommended the story be given exclusively to Irlam’s local title, the Manchester Evening News.
Following the exclusive, the press release was shared with media titles who requested further information, with over 20 regional media titles asking if a Greggs Drive-Thru would be opening in their town.
Media such as Lad Bible and Uni Lad visited the Drive-Thru for themselves, creating viral video content and generating further excitement for the launch.
· 75 pieces of coverage in national, regional and online media
· Audience reach of 131 million
· 9 national pieces of coverage in titles such as The Sun, Daily Mirror and Metro
· Greggs shop sales across the UK increased by 64% the day following the Drive-Thru launch
· Drive-Thru sales increased by 34% the day following the Drive-Thru launch